GUIDELINES FOR USING BUILDING DESIGN ENERGY TARGET
1. The Design Energy Target figures apply only to buildings and energy consumed within
the five -foot line of the building, except for the following cases:
a. Where a package chiller, cooling tower, air cooled refrigeration condenser,
one building, the energy required to operate these shall be chargeable to the building.
b. Where facilities as noted in 1.a above serves two to four buildings, the energy
requirements shall be prorated among the buildings. Where such facilities serve five or
more buildings, these facilities shall be considered in the category of central plants.
2. Losses from steam, chilled water, high temp water or hot water distribution lines
beyond the five-foot line are not chargeable to the building energy consu mption except as
provided in 1.b above.
3. Exterior lighting beyond the five -foot line is not chargeable to the building energy
4. Building Design Energy Targets include the energy required for space heating, space
cooling, domestic hot water and lighting.
5. Design Energy Targets relate to building gross square feet. For MILCON projects this
should be as shown on the Project's DD Form 1391. Gross area is the sum of all floor
areas of a building including basements, cellars, mezzanines, ot her intermediate floor
tiers and penthouses. All measurements shall be from the exterior wall of the building or
from the centerline of party walls.
6. For the purpose of calculating Design Energy Targets the following conversion factors
will be used:
3,413 BTU per kilowatt hour
138,700 BTU per gallon
1,030,000 BTU per thousand cubic feet
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
95,500 BTU per gallon
(including Propane and Butane)
28,300,000 BTU per short ton
24,580,000 BTU per short ton
Purchased Steam or Steam From
1,000 BTU per pound
High Temperature or Medium
Use the heat value based on the
Temperature Water from Central
temp of the water actually delivered
at building five -foot line.