OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL
Section A - Operation
1. General System Description - provides an overview of as-built system composition and
operation of system.
2. Start-up and Shutdown Procedures provides step by step instructions to bring as-built
systems from static to operational configurations and from operating to shutdown.
3. Normal Operating Instructions - includes control diagrams with data to explain operation
and control of as-built system and specific equipment.
4. Operating Norms - provides temperatures, pressures, flow rates, etc. to be expected
during normal operation of the as-built system.
5. Emergency Operating Instructions - includes emergency procedures for equipment
malfunctions to permit a short period of continued operation or to shutdown the equipment
to prevent further damage to the as-built system and equipment; provides emergency
shutdown instructions for fire, explosion, spills, or any contingency; and provides guidance
on emergency operations of all utility systems including valve locations and portions of
6. Environmental Considerations - includes a listing of as-built systems/equipment which
require special environmental operation, reporting, testing, analysis or inspection to comply
with Federal and related state/local environmental laws and their respective implementing
regulations, statutes, policies, etc. Examples are backflow preventer inspections,
underground storage tank testing, hazardous material/waste usage and storage
documentation, and inspection and testing of air pollution control devices. For each
system/equipment, describe the required procedure and frequency for environmental
operation, reporting, testing, analysis and inspection.
7. Important and Special Considerations - contains items of special interest concerning
system design, as-built construction, or operation; and provides a list of environmental
conditions (temperature, humidity, and other relevant data) which are best suited for each
piece of equipment and those conditions under which the equipment should not be allowed