5 June 2003
source of allergens in the indoor environment. Many people are allergic to dust
mites, insect parts, etc.
Appropriate treatment of allergic symptoms due to exposure to
fungal allergens includes removal of the source of the allergy. This means
abatement of visible mold where identified, correction of water incursion
problems, and searching the air handling systems in the work area to ensure that
any mold is removed. In cases of serious allergic conditions such as
hypersensitivity pneumonitis and asthma suspected due to work exposure,
consider removal from the work area pending abatement.
MOLD PREVENTION TIPS. The EPA Publication Mold
Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings provides recommendations to
prevent mold, such as:
Fix leaky plumbing and leaks in the building envelope as soon as
Watch for condensation and wet spots. Fix source(s) of moisture
problem(s) as soon as possible.
Prevent moisture due to condensation by increasing surface
temperature or reducing the moisture level in the air (humidity). To
increase surface temperature, insulate or increase air circulation.
To reduce the moisture level in air, repair leaks, increase ventilation
(if outside air is cold and dry), or dehumidify (if outdoor air is warm
Keep heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) system drip
pans clean, flowing properly, and unobstructed.
Vent moisture-generating appliances, such as dryers, to the
Maintain low indoor humidity, below 60% relative humidity (RH),
ideally 30-50%, if possible.
Perform regular building and HVAC inspections and maintenance
Clean and dry wet or damp spots within 48 hours.
Don't let foundations stay wet. Provide adequate drainage and
slope the ground away from the foundation.