Commanding Officer to the Public Works Officer to execute these
responsibilities. The Public Works Department is the shore facility
organizational component designated to provide activity operation and
maintenance support. Standard Public Works Department organizations are
prescribed in NAVFAC P-318, Organization and Functions for Public Works
a. PUBLIC WORKS OFFICER AND ASSISTANT PUBLIC WORKS OFFICER. These two
positions comprise the Public Works Departments' top management. Their active
participation in maintenance management system application is essential to
(1) Effective management practices are followed to efficiently
utilize scarce resources in support of the Command's mission responsibilities.
(2) The Public. Works Department is responsive to Command maintenance
and operational requirements.
(3) Plans, priorities, and accomplishment of maintenance work assure
effective support of the Command's mission.
(4) Goals, targets, and standards are established and measured
against actual performance.
(5) Cause analysis is initiated and variances in plan, schedule, or
performance of maintenance work are corrected.
(6) Quality of work is commensurate with the type of construction,
NAVFACENGCOM technical standards, and expected facility life.
(7) Costs are held to a minimum consistent with mission requirements.
(8) Department personnel are trained in, and thoroughly understand
the maintenance management system.
b. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING (FME) DIVISION. This is the one
division in the Public Works Department whose entire effort is directed toward
facilities management. Its existence is based on the premise that the
functions of long-range planning inspection, work reception and control, job
planning and estimating, work input control, and performance evaluation will
be more successfully administered and will have a more positive managing
effect on maintenance when they are assigned to a staff division rather than
to the group concerned primarily with work-performance. This Division should
be organized around two major functions; work management and work generation.
Work management includes:
Resource management and budgeting
Work input control
Quality assurance of in-house maintenance and utilities work
Analysis of variances and trends